The Department’s role is to develop and implement policies and programs that ensure Australia’s agricultural, fisheries, food and forestry industries remain competitive, profitable and sustainable.
Policies and programs:
- Encourage and support sustainable natural resource use and management.
- Protect the health and safety of plant and animal industries.
- Enable industries to adapt to compete in a fast-changing international and economic environment.
- Help improve market access and market performance for the agricultural and food sector.
- Encourage and assist industries to adopt new technology and practices.
- Assist primary producers and the food industry to develop business and marketing skills, and to be financially self-reliant.