This program is designed to protect the interests of adults who have impaired capacity or a mental or intellectual impairment and cannot make their own decisions and who live in the following facilities:
- An authorised mental health facility with in-patient services
- A hostel registered as ‘level three’ supported accommodation,
- A residence with other people who also received support from Disability Services Queensland or a paid service provider
A Community Visitor is someone appointed to visit the adult’s residence and help them understand their rights.
The network of community visitors regularly visit these facilities to:
- Promote the rights of the residence or patients
- Protect their interests
- Ensure no-one is taking advantage of them
The program seeks to strike a balance between the adult’s right to be able to make their own decisions and their right to adequate support and protection from abuse, neglect and exploitation.