Its role is to:
- Protect the health and safety of the public
- Promote professional, safe and competent practice by health practitioners
- Promote high standards of service delivery by health service organisations
- Maintain public confidence in the management of health complaints and other matters relating to the provision of health services
- Receive and investigate complaints about health services and health service providers, including registered and unregistered health practitioners.
- High quality complaints handling
- Dispute resolution
- Conciliation and investigation.